Monday, September 13, 2010

The 2010 MTV VMA’s; Some Things Never Change…Or Do They?

Another year another Video Music Awards from MTV. I will tell you that I haven’t actually watched them for about a decade, and for good reason. I like GOOD music :P. But this year I made an exception, and I will say that watching the VMA’s was a different experience than usual.

I mean sure, there were your typical pop artists clamoring for attention and lip-sincing their performances, women dressed in little to nothing (with the exception of Lady Gaga who had no less than THREE ridiculous outfits (pictured above^)), and the host was telling people to go get sh*t-housed, and setting a poor example for children around the world. One thing I will say is that the light show was excellent. Whoever was behind the scenes pulling the strings got together a phenomenal crew to put together the lights to go with the performances. Grade-A awesome!
But the main reason I watched the VMA's this year is because the guy playing the music was Joel Zimmerman. Many of you may know him better as Deadmau5.
That’s right people, Deadmau5 served as the DJ, and musical maestro for the entire VMA’s. Pretty crazy, and it shows you how far electronic music has come.
While there are mixed reviews/feelings about who is arguably the best electronic music producer ‘going mainstream,’ I definitely enjoyed seeing the Mau5 up in his cube with his LCD head, playing songs that have become anthems in the house world, for the masses. Right before commercial breaks you’d hear ‘Ghosts N Stuff,’ or his unreleased hit, 'Cthulu Sleeps,’ or ‘Hi Friend’ with MC Flipside. He also did eight pop remixes of La Roux, The Black Keys, Jason Derulo, and others, and three performances which, to my dismay, also aired during commercial breaks.
One of the performances was with Robyn while she sang her hit single, ‘Dancing On My Own’ to a remix that Deadmau5 wrote not a week before. Here's a preview of their performance right before a commercial break. Very dubish. Too bad all the good stuff was cut short.

Leading up to the night, the Mau5 was swamped. He had not a moment to himself, as is demonstrated by the picture<<< ;).

My wish is that this sort of thing doesn’t go to his head. Back in the day, I used to be into a little underground punk band called Blink 182. As soon as they hit MTV, they turned to a steaming pile of crap. Let’s hope the same thing doesn’t happen with Deadmau5.

No comments:

Post a Comment