Friday, June 18, 2010

Interview: The Bulgarian

Hey bleepfans, I've got an exclusive update here for you all. I caught up with The Bulgarian (whose Noisia - Alpha Centuri refix I did a post on, and you can view that post here) and he answered some questions. Check it out.

------------------------

How would you describe your sound? What kind of music gets your heartrate up and makes you excited?

Hmm. That's a tough one, I've always had a broad interest in music. Basically, anything new and fresh and innovative will always interest me. The worst thing for me is hearing people doing and copying the same shit over and over again. I guess I apply that to my music as well. I try to never copy myself, keep it fresh, and also, I make dance music. That means making music that makes people wanna dance, simple as that. A lot of DJs and producers seem to often forget that that's what this is all really about.



The Bulgarian...how'd you come up with the name?

Well, I was born in Bulgaria and currently live there again, but when I came up with the name I was still in South Africa and I was looking for something original and something that defined who I was and it seemed a good fit.



Since were going back to your beginnings, how did it all start for you? When did you get your big break?

Haha, I wouldn't say I've had a big break yet! It's all been slow progress with lots of hard work, and I'm aiming for much bigger things! I've have been cooking up beats since I was still in school back in 1997 but back then I was very technically limited compared to the software and hardware available today. I went through lots of different styles, Industrial, IDM, Big Beat, Drum n Bass and eventually found House and Techno, the so called "Four Four" music and that's when I got my first little break as The Bulgarian and started releasing properly, this was just 3 years ago.



Get exclusive downloads, and read the rest of the interview, after the jump!



It seems like there's kind of a plateau that new producers reach. They get on the blogs, get DJ gigs, get noticed by an agent and a manager and then they get launched worldwide. What comes after that?

I don't know! I've just only started with a new manager and things are looking exciting! We'll have to see. For me, it's always been about the next level. I'm happy not to stop trying until I get too old to do it anymore! World domination man, isn't that every artist's ultimate secret dream goal? ;)



What's the best show you ever played?

That's a tough one too. It feels unfair to pick just one as there have been many memorable ones but one of the stand outs is definitely my first time Paris. I played at the Social Club and it's meant to have a 450 person capacity and we had about 950 people through the door! It was epic! Also, Gaspar from Justice and So Me from Ed Banger showed up just randomly as regular club goers, that was fun, I could go tell my friends that Justice came to see me play! Hahaha.



What do you do to stay healthy/sane on the road?

I've never been out for longer than a full weekend at a time except when I go on tour back in South Africa for several weeks at a time and there I'm with friends and family so its easy. I also try to never get wasted before a gig. I'm definitely one of those DJs that DOESN'T play better drunk! Haha. That and trying to find flights that are at reasonable times of the day. Nothing worse than ending a gig at 5am and having to catch a flight at 8am 3hrs later. I like my 8hrs (at least 6 of them minimum).



Any other artists we should keep our eyes on?

Anyone keeping it fresh and real! Haha. There's so much good stuff buried in the swathes of mediocrity out there. I'd recommend finding out for yourself. People are relying too much on Top 10s and Charts and featured releases to tell them what to listen to. Have a look at someone's sound cloud page that you like and just spend some time clicking on random people they follow! You'll be surprised what you find!



What do you see for yourself in the [near] future?

Hmm. More gigs and bigger and better releases/remixes for now? ;) We'll have to see where the road goes!

------------------------

Check out these exclusive bleeps from his label, Feta Recordings. Remember, buy them if you like them.



The Bulgarian - Crazy Dog Biscuit feat. Spoek (Original Mix)
YSI



Paysites - Beatport



The Bulgarian - Rocket Action Hero feat. A Girl And A Gun (Boom-Boy Remix) <3 YSI



Paysites - Beatport


No comments:

Post a Comment